I have done one of these posts about three weeks ago and I thought it will be a good idea to do one more this time concentrating on me rather that us.
Constant stress, work, family issues etc. make us concentrate on everything else but ourselves. It is very easy to miss one or two appointments to the dentist or doctor with easy justification of lack of time and different priorities. The reality is that looking after everyone else and everything else should start from looking after own body and mind.
I would lie if I say that I am an expert in self-care. More often than not work and relationship problems will come first. But I try to reflect on things and if this post will make only one of my readers to do the same, it was worth writing it…
The idea of today is give you simple guide of what each of us should (and hopeful want to) do daily, weekly, monthly etc. I will concentrate on the things that are the closest to my heart and I will try to give you examples of what I do as well as things that I try to avoid for one reason or the other…
- diet full of greens and healthy fats
- no highly processed food or fizzy drinks (I mean it !!)
- undisturbed deep sleep (in my case at least eight hours…)
- water- tap or bottled (I try to drink at least 1-1.5 l a day)
- exercise… as little as 20 minutes a day can make a difference (I do yoga every morning, few positions that is all I have time for)
- finding me time (meditate, read a book or apply a face mask whatever makes you happy)
- flossing (I am huge on dental care so I will try to floss at least twice a week)
- spending some time with the loved ones (mental health should never be underestimated and if you are like me charging your batteries will only be possible next to the people you cannot live without)
- checking your breasts for any abnormalities (as they may feel different due to menstrual cycle it is a good idea to check them few times a month with the absolute minimum being once a month)
- skin self-exam (checking unusual moles, changing shape birth marks or skin abnormalities takes only few minutes but can save a lot of stress in a long run)
- couples time (finding time just for the two of you should be something to look forward, to re-connect to speak and just to be together), we try to go somewhere new every month even if it is only day trip !
Half a year priorities:
- dental check (I would recommend to go twice a year but absolute minimum should be yearly, find the dentist that make you relaxed and you are not afraid of what is to come)
- visit to your doctor for annual blood pressure check, medication review or/and blood profiles (full blood count, biochemical profile, lipid profile etc.) that in my opinion is an absolute must
- eye check (it is recommended to have your eyes check at least once every two years but from my experience I would do it every year)
- annual pill check if any of my female readers use hormonal contraception (worth every minute of yours and the nurses time)
- mammograms should be part of the yearly (minimum two yearly) priorities if you are over 40 or 45 depending on a guidance from various sources
Every two years or less often:
- hearing test (it can be done by your doctor or specialist and it will only take 15 minutes… mine is very overdue so hopefully this post will give me motivation for that)
- depending on your age bracket the frequency of the cervical screening will vary (from three to five years) but it is an essential that I would not miss
I really hope that what I put together will be useful and may help you to put the priorities in order. Nothing too complicated, nobody will change everything just like that. Simple reminder on the phone or calendar should be enough. Once the commitment and the will is there everything else will follow. I understand that some of this appointments and tests may require payment if they are not included in your health insurance… But in my opinion they are worth every penny as it is an investment in our health and wellbeing !
Have I missed anything ? Is there anything else you are doing for your own health benefits ?
As usual thank you so much for stopping by !!
Ps. The profile picture for this post was taken during our stay in Knaresborough… More on that very soon !!