The idea for this post came to me when I popped to my local Zara for some last-minute shopping. As the sales are in full swing the amount of clothing everywhere really made me think… How much is too much and do we really need half of the things we buy ?
I am as guilty in the whole process as most of the population but maybe there is something we can do to stop wasting money, damage the environment and reduce the wastage so common in the fashion industry ?
I love shopping but I also like quality items and looking after my stuff. I would happily buy one thing that is going to last me ages that five that will get damage after first wash. The idea of throwing away things I bought with my hard-earned cash is something I cannot agree with… Also the amount of items we buy or we are made to feel we need to buy via social media is really overwhelming. We all need cloths and beauty products but the amount presented in those sources is insane…
I like to have different options available in my closet but I try not to lose my head in all this. So that is what my advice would be !
- Look after your possessions, be proud of what you have and that will pay off !
- When looking for a new item to add to your wardrobe think about the rest of the outfit, do you have something else to pair it with ?
- Shop in your closet and recycle. One item can serve so may occasions… and some examples below…
Statement jacket from Zara (more here)
- Look at the fabric ! Natural fabrics are always more skin-friendly. Anything synthetic is less preferred by me and it is not so environmental friendly either.
- Never spend the fortune on trends. The items that are statement or come in fashion for one season only are not something I would invest in… classics always !!
- Donate anything unwanted… Do a seasonal clean and give away anything that you have that you have not worn for over a year (or 18 months in my case). It may make somebody else very happy !
- And the most important rule… Appreciate what you already have ! Shopping may give you pleasure but it will not bring you happiness !
I have to remind myself of all of this rules from time to time as I am not the finished article and I make mistakes more often that you may think !
Let me know if you like what I came up with and if you like to read more blogs like this one ?
Thank you so much for stopping by,